Far from the truth. It turns out that Prop8 was not only popular on both sides of the aisle, but overwhelmingly so.
Here are the final stats that place Prop8 as more popular than Schwarzenegger, Feinstein, and Boxer, let alone Kerry and Obama.
The official Statement of the Vote has been released by the Secretary of State. Proposition 8 passed by a margin of 52.3% to 47.7%. We won by a margin of 600,000 votes: 7,001,084 to 6,401,483. To provide some context for this vote:
- Prop. 8 received 2,150,000 MORE votes than did Arnold Schwarzenegger when he was reelected in 2006
- Prop. 8 received nearly 2 million MORE votes than Dianne Feinstein did when she was reelected to the US Senate in 2006
- Prop. 8 received 250,000 MORE votes than did John Kerry when he carried California in 2004
- Prop. 8 received 45,000 MORE votes than did Barbara Boxer in her landslide reelection to the U.S. Senate in 2004
- Prop. 8 passed with approximately the same percentage of the vote that Barack Obama received nationally